Doordarshan, the national television service of India, is devoted to public service broadcasting. It is one of the largest terrestrial networks in the world. Its network of 1400 terrestrial transmitters cover more than 90.7% of India's population.
The Website : At a Glance ( or )
A website has been developed, which includes live streaming site of Doordarshan's international channel (DD INDIA) and information on all the principal channels: DD NATIONAL, DD NEWS, DD SPORTS, DD BHARATI and DD INTERNATIONAL.
The News Department has its own website: http://www.ddinews.gov.in http://www.ddindia.gov.in is a site offering tactical, content, production and utility value. The site has been carefully planned to allow for smooth navigation and easy usability. Keeping the user profile in mind, information is made available in a simple yet concise format. A number of interactive tools too have been built into the various sections.
- The site's contents are displayed clearly on the home page; informing viewers about what they might find and what they could do.
- It clearly indicates what each page is about, i.e. what one can expect to find.
- It arranges and organizes the contents in a readily understandable order.
- The site is easy to navigate - the structure readily apparent, and uses well-organized and labeled navigational aids. Navigational aids are available at the top and side of each page.
- Short descriptive titles and headings are used to orient viewers about the contents.
- The site allows viewers to explore the site without excessive backtracking or feeling of disorientation. There are no excessive scrolls to access contents.
- It provides viewers with a preview of what will happen and where they will go when they click on highlighted items.
- Supports a variety of different browsers, and browsing options (high and low bandwidth).
- Allows viewers using an all-text browser to access and find useful information.
- Allows viewers to access the site quickly to see or do something without having to wait excessively as images and text are downloaded.
- The website has been designed using the latest technology and software. Descriptive text, breathtaking visuals and real videos have been used to provide information on the various sections covered. Pictures and vides of people, products and services have been used throughout the site to convey the integral relationship between them as well as DD's people-centric image. To convey information in a gripping manner and enhance the user's overall experience of the site, several interactive elements have been created using Flash 5.0 and other software.
The site has very high interactive content. Its features include live video streaming, video archives, news updates etc., It has also has polling area, interesting video archives and a discussion forum, besides sections on Indian music, food, travel etc., to cater to the varied backgrounds of its users.
Information provided is up-to-date and relevant to the current affairs of India and the world. The tone of the content on the site is friendly and has been conveyed in a simplistic manner, which is understandable to any user.
- Corporate Information
Information about Doordarshan's history, policies, structure etc., is provided in the About Us section and is aimed at accessibility and transparency.
Business opportunities, Audience Feedback, Advertisement details and bookings are some of the other sections covered.
- General Interest
The site also provides interesting articles on Cinema, Classical Music, Devotional Music, Travel, cookery, Sports, Shares and Stocks, Reviews, Transcripts of programmes, Weather, and other such topics of general interest. The idea behind this is to generate interest and retain the interest of users visiting the site. This section is updated regularly and features the latest information on the topics included here.
- Services for Users
Services related to Real Estate, Wedding Bells, Discussions, chat, Fan clubs, Education and Shopping are provided to users visiting the site. Interesting schemes and discounts will form part of this too. All this is aimed at generating and maintaining user interest levels.
Meeting it’s objectives as a Public Broadcast Organization.
As a public broadcasting service, Doordarshan's objective is to reach out to the largest possible audience. It's diverse network has been quite successful in meeting this goal, as far as residents of India were concerned. Today, using the Internet, a large number of viewers the world over can have access to the content aired by Doordarshan, at the click of a mouse. The website will lead to a considerable increase in visibility without the use of any extra infrastructure or manpower. The image of the organization, its profile, and its offerings will also receive a boost.
Regularly updated information on the organization's services, products etc., will be available at the click of a mouse. Moreover, keeping changing user needs in view, the site will be reorganized regularly with respect to information, design elements, and programmes.